OPEN CALL - PAO@Steilene 2018
Artists living in the Østland area and PAO members are welcome to apply.
Event date: Saturday, 14th July 2018
Place: Steilene island, Oslo Fjord
DEADLINE: May 5th 2018 (midnight UTC+1)
Our universe is expanding faster and faster. Since the Industrial Revolution, society’s pace has been speeding up. Our contemporary lives are filled with the challenges of multi-tasking and the demand for high-speed, immediate responses and interactions with each other and the world. Meditation, yoga, slow food and reconnection with nature are in vogue because they offer a counter-solution: the option to slow down and revolt against the speed at which we are supposed to live. We also find art philosophies and practices that follow this movement- offering works, contemplations and experiences based on slowing down.
This year’s PAO@Steilene event invites artists to ease their pace and create works inspired by the act of slowing down and the art of contemplation. We call for works to be in dialogue with the natural landscape of Steilene - a group of islands on the Oslo fjord.
We are interested in 3 formats of works:
- long durational work
- performance (max. 20 min)
- land art
1 single PDF max. 6MB should be in English or Norwegian and contain:
- Project description (max. 1/2 page)
- 4 images of your previews work
- A bio/artist statement (max. 1/2 page)
- CV: max. 2 pages including contact info, current address, website and email.
- Mark the PDF with “your name PAO@Steilene 2018”
SEND TO: email@example.com
Subject: your name PAO@Steilene 2018
- 2000 NOK as an artist fee and material budget
- 500 NOK travel support
- Digital photos from your work by the festival photographer
- The artists are invited to stay on the island from 13th to 15th of July. We offer tents/lavo for camping in the main island. Artists must provide their own sleeping bags, etc. This island has toilet and shower facilities.
- Dinner after the performance prepared by a chef. Simple breakfast, dinner and snacks organized by us during the staying.
- Note that this is PAO’s summer event with a low budget. A part from offering a professional context for the presentation of your work in a natural environment the festival provides an artistic gathering experience in a Norwegian island.
- The artist need to be auto-sufficient with his/her work and materials. We cannot offer any technical support.
- There is no electricity on the small island where we perform.
- Performances cannot produce or leave any garbage behind. We encourage you to use few materials and preferable organic materials.
- We want to broaden our view, and give opportunity to many artists. We will give preference to artists that have not yet performed at Steilene.
- 5 works will be selected amongst artists living in Østlandet. We will contact only successful applicants by the end of May.
More information about Steilene islands (in Norwegian): https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steilene
Learn more about PAO and this event: www.performanceartoslo.no
We look forward to contemplating your proposal!